Translate

Powered by Blogger.

Monday, February 4, 2013

Chinese Food Worthy of a Snake


 Thirteen years ago my roommate, Tran, and I decided to throw a Chinese New Year party. At the time I had a wee little crush on a cute guy from church. So, I thought, what the heck, I'll invite him to the party. Well, needless to say, the party was a hit and, that cute guy from church is now my husband.
Since that year it has become tradition for us to celebrate Chinese New Year. Really, what's not to like? ....dragons, fortune cookies, Chinese food, and good ole fashion family fun. This year Chinese New Year is February 10th and that means it's time to start preparation to ring in the year of the Snake.

To Begin:  THE FOOD
           The food for Chinese New Year is very symbolic. Thru the years I have gathered a collection of our favorite "go to" recipes, perfect to ring in a prosperous lunar new year. And, here they are.......


Our Version of Panda Express Chow Mein
Noodles= Long life
This Chow Mein Noodle recipe is easy and awesome! I've even made it using plain old spaghetti noodles, when I didn't have Yaki Soba Noodles on hand. Find it here at favorite family recipes. It is especially delicious when you toss in some cooked shrimp...yumm! psst...and the shrimp represent happiness.


PF Changs Lettuce Wraps
Lettuce=Wealth
These are always a huge hit! The recipe is found at The Culinary Life.



Orange Chicken
Oranges=Wealth and Good Fortune
We take the easy route on this one.....Costco or Trader Joes Orange chicken. You can always get take out or try a recipe instead but, this is one of those times when I choose to use the "EASY" button.

Now just pick up some egg rolls, fortune cookies, and chopsticks; you will have a Thanksgiving-esque Chinese New Year feast.
Tomorrow we shall start on decorations......



No comments:

Post a Comment