Translate

Powered by Blogger.

Monday, March 5, 2012

Edibles of St. Paddy's Day

 The phrase "Kiss Me I'm Irish" is a legitimate statement in our house. I have a proud Irish heritage that I strive to include in different aspects of my life. Whether it is the shamrock I sewed onto my bridal garter or listening to my recording of famed Irish musicians James Galway and the Chieftains. Of course, every year, with out fail, we have our traditional Irish feast of Corned Beef, Cabbage, potatoes and carrots. I even muscled through and made it the year I was pregnant with my twins; with double the morning sickness and I thought the smell of the simmering Irish delight was going to be the death of me. But it all came down to "tradition, TRADITION!"
Here are some of our family "go to" recipes for our St Patrick's day celebrations.

For an easy tender and tasty, NOT chewy corned beef, start with a flat cut of corned beef. The flat cut is a bit more expensive but is worth the price. It is far less fatty and chewy than a point cut. Here is the link to my never fail Slow Cooker Corned Beef and Cabbage Recipe. The recipe calls for a bottle of stout or dark ale but you could substitute water or beef broth if you would like.
After we have stuffed ourselves silly with Corned Beef we eat a sweet treat that, isn't quite traditionally Irish, but, it is a green EASY family favorite.

Lime Jello Poke Cake

1 box white cake mix (I like Betty Crocker)
1 Water, vegetable oil and egg whites called for on cake mix box
1 box (4-serving size) lime flavored gelatin
1 cup boiling water
 1/2 cup cold water
1 container (8 oz) frozen whipped topping, thawed (3 cups)

  • Heat oven to 350°F (325°F for dark or nonstick pan).
  • Make and bake cake as directed on box for 13x9-inch pan. Cool completely in pan, about 1 hour.
  • Pierce cooled cake all over with fork. In small bowl, stir gelatin and boiling water until smooth; stir in cold water. Pour over cake. Run knife around sides of pan to loosen cake. Refrigerate 2 hours. Frost with whipped topping. Store covered in refrigerator.

Happy Shamrock-ing Everyone!!




No comments:

Post a Comment