Translate

Powered by Blogger.

Thursday, March 21, 2013

Union Jack-ed Up Style

Several months ago I had pinned an idea for a Union Jack throw pillow on Pinterest. After my recent excursion to London I knew I had to come home and make said pillow. Here is the link to the blog which inspired my craft therapy for the day: French Country Cottage

 I found blue burlap at Joanns then came home and gave it, and the jute upholstery webbing a good wash on the delicate cycle. I also added a little bleach to the water to lighten up the fabric and webbing just a touch. I let is air dry then ironed it. For more tips on working with burlap go here.

I wanted a pillow 14" x 22" in size so I cut the fabric 14 1/2" x 22 1/2" (1/4" seam allowance).
I sewed the diagonal thin strips first. For these I cut the webbing in half length wise then zig-zagged the raw edge to prevent fraying before I applied it to the burlap. Once all the webbing was sewn on I gave it another good iron.
After I sewed the front and the back of the pillow cover together I went back and zig-zagged the raw edge. * Burlap has a tendency to fray easily and will pull apart if you don't do this step.
Then I stuffed my pillow form in and whip stitched it closed.
I love it! Makes me want to sing a rousing verse of "God Save the Queen"!

No comments:

Post a Comment